Intego ContentBarrier is available for Mac computers only. Features include:
- Blocks objectionable web content, including categories of content, specific web sites, sites with specific keywords, and access to sites requiring https
- Whitelist functionality allows users to access only sites you permit
- Access restrictions custom tailored per user (e.g., one account for yourself and a more restricted account for your child)
- Browser-embedded UI allows for overriding parental controls and allowing sites so long as the user has the necessary security credentials
- History of websites visited for each user account and the ability to easily block/allow a site from the history list
- Time of day restrictions on network access (restricts access to specific times of day or week, a maximum amount of time per day, or temporarily block your child for a set period of time or until you unblock them manually)
- AntiPredator chat monitoring for all standard chat protocols to watch for objectionable chat content and block inappropriate chats (receive email alerts whenever objectionable content is detected)
- View the history of recorded chats, including the content of the chat and the ID of the chat partner
- Takes screenshots and includes a Time Machine-like control that lets you easily view recorded screens
- Records keystrokes
- Restricts application network access only to applications you allow
- Blocks inappropriate emails
- Blocks connections to game servers or streaming music and video
- Blocks peer-to-peer activity (e.g., BitTorrent)
- Contains a “monitor only” mode that records a user’s activity but does not provide any protections/perform any blocking
- Periodically updates filters to provide ongoing protection against objectionable content
- Web Administration Console allows anytime/anywhere access to ContentBarrier (view web activity and block/allow access to specific sites, allow exceptions to permitted network access times, and view blocked network applications and allow exceptions)
- Email activity reports (e.g., websites that were blocked, blocked chats via AntiPredator or keyword triggering, attempts to access encrypted sites)
Intego also offers Intego ContentBarrier Secure X8, which bundles all the features of Intego ContentBarrier plus security, performance, and privacy and identity protection services.
Intego ContentBarrier is designed for Macs and is easy to install and use. It provides expected functionality, allowing you to block websites, monitor your child’s activities, and regulate their time online. The program provides two tabs, one for configuring the websites that your children can see, and the other for monitoring their past activities. You can set the amount of time they can be online by the day of the week; when they hit that number, a window pops up letting them know they can no longer access the Internet.
Pricing varies depending on how many computers.
- One year on 1 computer: Regular price is $49.99; currently on sale for $39.99.
- Two years on 1 computer: Regular price is $89.99; currently on sale for $69.99.
- One year on up to 3 computers: Regular price is $99.99; currently on sale for $79.99.
- Two years on 3 computers: Regular price is $189.99; currently on sale for $149.99.
Intego also creates other security software, so there are several options to get all of the ContentBarrier features as part of larger product suite, or mix with other packages.
Technical support includes email support, an FAQ, and access to a knowledgebase.
In a world where most children and teenagers have smartphones or tablet computers, most of their social activity happens there. ContentBarrier is a bit behind the curve by not supporting mobile devices. If your children only use Macintosh computers and do not have smartphones or tablet computers, Intego ContentBarrier is an excellent choice. However, if your children do have smartphones or tablets, or use Windows computers, you’ll need to look elsewhere for adequate protection. Intego ContentBarrier , if bought separately, is relatively expensive.