LifeLock, a public company trading on NASDAQ as LOCK, and based in Tempe, Arizona, released their namesake identity protection software back in 2005, making it perhaps the oldest identity protection company, and certainly the best known. Anyone who watches late night television has likely seen at least one of their commercials.
Provides three levels of service: LifeLock Standard, LifeLock Advantage, and LifeLock Ultimate Plus. All three services include the following features:
- A dashboard for reviewing alerts and notifications and contacting member services
- Email or phone alerts that notify you of any suspicious activity
- Lost wallet protection, which includes help stopping fraudulent charges, replacing credit and debit cards, Social Security card, and driver’s licenses, insurance cards, check books, and travelers checks
- Address change Verification, which monitors requests and notifies you of any address change requests
- Reduced pre-approved credit card offers, by requesting that you be removed from mailing lists
- Black market website surveillance, which monitors illicit websites and notifies you if your private data is found
- $1 Million Total Service Guarantee
LifeLock Advantage and Life Ultimate Plus include the following additional services:
- Fictitious identity monitoring
- Court records scanning
- Data breach notifications
- Online annual credit reports and scores for 1 credit bureau (LifeLock Advantage)
- Credit card, checking and savings account activity alerts
LifeLock Ultimate includes all of the above features, plus the following:
- Investment account activity alerts
- Alerts you of any applications for new bank accounts using your personal information
- Alerts you of any changes to account contact information or attempts to add new account holders to your bank accounts
- Alerts for new credit applications using your personal data
- File-sharing network searches
- Sex offender registry reports
- Monthly credit score tracking
- Unlimited online access to annual credit reports and scores for all three credit bureaus
- Priority access to the member services team
LifeLock offers the LifeLock Junior add-on that extends many of the LifeLock services to your children.
LifeLock offers the LifeLock Wallet app for iOS and Android for managing your credit cards and for responding to alerts.
LifeLock has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, but has a very high incidence of customer complaints, including those involving problems with products and services. LifeLock’s performance is excellent; however, they do not monitor your insurance records or provide identity protection software as does IdentityForce.
LifeLock Standard $8.99 per month or 98.90 per year; LifeLock Advantage is $17.99 per month or $197.90 per year; LifeLock Ultimate Plus $26.99 per month or $296.90 per year. First 30 days are free.
Also offers LifeLock Standard and LifeLock Advantage with few features and lower monthly fees.
Provides 24/7 phone support and live chat 365 days a year. Email support is also available.
LifeLock is one of the best identity protection companies in the business. They are not our top pick only because some competitors offer additional monitoring services and identity protection software for the same price. However, LifeLock is still an excellent choice if you don’t need the monitoring services and software offered by some competitors.