BullGuard is a Danish company with an international presence that has been developing antimalware since 2002. BullGuard is one of the fastest growing internet and mobile security brands in the market today. Their product portfolio includes antimalware, a premium 24/7 protection suite, and web-based identity and social media protection that works across all devices. As part of their security service they also provide customers with data backup for PCs and mobile devices.
BullGuard offers two choices for Internet security suites: BullGuard Premium Protection and Internet Security. Premium Security is their deluxe product; Internal Security provides fewer features. Both products only support PCs. They do offer the BullGuard Mobile Security App for Android. BullGuard products do not support Macs or iOS devices.
Here are the features included with BullGuard Internet Security:
- Real-time antimalware protection
- Safe browsing checks the websites that come up in your searches and lets you know which ones are safe and cautions you about those that can’t be trusted.
- Spam filter cleans your inbox for you, and reduces email spam, phishing and foreign language fraud
- PC Tune-up improves your computer’s performance by cleaning out old files you don’t really need and fix the issues that might be slowing it down.
- Vulnerability scanner checks your PC for out-dated software that hackers and viruses can exploit, and hands you the appropriate patches.
- Firewall protects you against network attacks and prevents identity and data thieves from hacking into your system.
- Parental control allows you to block your children’s access to suspicious websites, limit their time on the Internet and monitor their activity. Helps you to protect them from being exposed to cyberbullying and inappropriate content.
- 5GB of online backup space to save all your important data
BullGuard Premium Protection provides the same features as above plus the following additional features:
- Identity protection: scans the entire web for your usernames, email and postal addresses, phone numbers, credit card numbers, and more. Whenever one of your registered details is made public online, they immediately alert you via email and SMS, and provide you with advice on what to do next.
- Social media protection helps you to monitor your children’s Facebook profiles, including private messages, photos and friends lists. Flags all possible threats to your children’s safety, and notifies you each time inappropriate content or contacts from strangers is detected.
- A special “Game Mode” that provides security while playing games without impacting system performance.
- 25GB of online backup space to save all your important data
BullGuard Mobile Security for Android provides the following features:
- Antitheft, including locking, locating, and wiping a device remotely if lost or stolen
- Antivirus, providing complete protection against malware
- Automatic virus scans so you’re always up-to-date and your apps are protected
- Backup and restore of your important data with just one click
- Powerful but discrete parental controls to keep your kids safe
- Blocking of unwanted calls and SMS messages
- SIM protection for data wiping or lockdown if someone tries to change the SIM
The also offer several standalone products including Identity Protection, Social Media Protection, Mobile Backup, and BullGuard Backup.
BullGuard is a top performer. Their antimalware is very effective in independent tests. However, their malicious website detection performed less spectacularly, and their parental control features can be overcome by resourceful teenagers who are technically inclined. They offer
BullGuard Premium Protection costs $99.95 per year for up to 3 computers. You can also purchase a 2-year subscription for $159.95 or 3-year for $199.95. They also offer a package for up to 5 computers.
BullGuard Internet Security costs $59.95 for up to 3 PCs for one year. A 2-year subscription is $95.95 or 3-year for $119.95. They also offer packages for up to 5 computers or up to 10 computers.
They offer a 60-day free trial.
BullGuard Mobile Security is offered as a separate product starting at $19.95 per year with several package options available.
BullGuard provides free 24/7 online chat help, 24/7 email support in the US, and email support during business hours in most European countries. They provide FAQs and a Forum, a searchable knowledgebase. They also provide fee-based premium services such as installation and setup, antivirus removal, and PC tune-up.
BullGuard Premium Protection, Internet Security, and Mobile Security are all excellent products. If you only use PCs and Android devices, this is a top choice. If you use a Mac, iPhone, or iPad, or use diverse device types, you’ll need to look elsewhere. Their pricing is on par with the competition offering the same features, and they offer some unique features such as their Game Mode for providing security with minimal system impact. Because their parental control software can be disabled, you may want to go with a stronger option in this area if you have a resourceful teenager with technical skills.